Sunday, April 02, 2006

Goldfinches in my backyard


Lesser Goldfinch
Originally uploaded by Bill Walker.
I really don't have a good photo of Lesser Goldfinch in my files, but I do have a good collection of Lesser Goldfinches at my backyard feeder. Only problem is, they seem only to perch on (a) backlit sticks at the top of the tree or (b) the feeder itself, neither of which is conducive to a good wildlife photo. So, I decided to try to be like the pros and place a natural looking perch in an advantageous spot and wait for the birds to land on it.

I did get some decent shots of the Goldfinches, and I did see them land on the perch I had provided, but never both at once. Still, it's quite fun to sit very still in your backyard and watch the birds flit around. A very zen activity.

(More photos at flickr)

No comments: