Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Black-necked Stilts in love


Black-necked Stilts in love
Originally uploaded by Bill Walker.
I arrived a little early at Lucy Evans Nature Center for the monthly meeting of Bay Area Bird Photographers. Since there was still a little sunlight left, I decided to wander around the parking lot with my 300mm just as an excuse to be outside and stretch my legs.

On the eastern edge of the parking lot I sat quietly for a few minutes to see how close the feeding Avocets and Stilts would approach. I noticed one Stilt stop feeding and stand very still, neck stretched far forward, while the other bird methodically splashed the water first on one side, then the other. I suspected something interesting was about to happen, and I was right. This whole sequence took at most 30 seconds.

1 comment:

Tea said...

So sweet :) *sigh*