Saturday, June 16, 2007

Father's Day


This dapper gent is my father, seen here in about 1960 with his beloved Bolex H16 movie camera. For those of you with DVD or hard disk camcorders, consider these specs -- he tells me it is spring-driven (no batteries!) and accepts 100 feet worth of film at a time, for a total of three minutes of shooting between changing reels. He sent me this photo earlier this summer when I reported to him someone still using a Bolex at my local Egret rookery. Dad has moved onto to more current technologies -- DSLR's and are the medium of choice for both of us now.

Anyway, the more I get into photography, the more I appreciate Dad's quiet mastery, his awareness of and keen eye for the world around us. I recall how we went for a walk around the neighborhood one Christmas a few years ago, shooting landscapes and Christmas decorations. I was struck by how effortlessly and simply he turned these everyday scenes into visually interesting compositions. I hope someday to have that knack.

So, on Father's Day 2007, I want all of you to know what a great Dad I have, a photographer, a teacher, a gentleman, an inspiration.

-Bill

No comments: