Thursday, December 28, 2006

It's a Christmas Miracle; and, Happy Birthday Dad!


Burrowing Owl
Originally uploaded by Bill Walker.
This image represents the conjunction of two Christmas miracles. First is the Canon 2X teleconverter, which my wonderful parents gave me for Christmas this year. I received it and promptly stuck it in my backpack for use on our Florida trip. The second miracle is that we found this burrowing owl today in the midst of Cape Coral, Florida; that it put up with as many as nine photographers with 500mm lenses shooting away continuously at it; and that I was able to put the 2X on my 500mm lens (2 x 500 x 1.6 = 1600mm!!) and was able to make this sharp image at 1/50 second. Image stabilization is a miracle too.

Anyway, Mary and I celebrated Dad's birthday today by taking him along on this bird photography class, where we spent the day watching spoonbills and laughing gulls and this owl. A great day.


Please take a look at today's photos on flickr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your photos,Bill.Especially the owl. Icould use an owl in my garage which has a mouse invasion. Waiting anxiously for the calendar. Mom