Wednesday, August 24, 2005

World's best anniversary present

[So, I walk into my local camera store this morning, armed with the name of the famous naturalist and photographer who knows the owner plus a printout showing the prices available at the large mailorder camera store in New York. I want to make a big purchase, I want to do it locally, but I don't want to pay a premium. I'm expecting a conflict. I hate conflict.]

Me: Hi, is [name of owner] here?
Owner: Hi, what can I do for you?
Me: I was sent here by [name of famous photographer]. I'm interested in a Canon 500mm. And believe it or not, my wife is actually encouraging me to buy it.
Employee: Quick, get his money now!
Owner: Well, what kind of price would make you interested?
Me: If I could match the price from [mail order place], I'd be really happy.
Owner: No problem, we'll order it, i'll be here next week
Me: Great!
Owner: Be sure to take your wife out to dinner before the lens comes in!

Dan and I walk across the street to get some coffee. I'm feeling all tingly. And they even had the Kirk quick release plate in stock.

Woo!

4 comments:

Bogie said...

Congratulations, you sound like one happy camper. Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

You go, Bill! Now what is Mary getting for your anniversary? Mom W

Bill Walker said...

Mary is getting a handmade walnut yarn swift from Bluster Bay Woodworks in Alaska. He says he should be able to ship it out soon, I'm sure you'll be hearing more about it on her blog when it comes...

Bill Walker said...

The lens! it's here! it's here!