Monday, November 22, 2004

Custom Wall Calendars: Part One

Inspired by some stuff that my wife Mary found on the web, I decided to try to make a custom wall calendar containing twelve of my photos. Since her original inspiration came from cafepress, and since their website was pretty slick, I definitely wanted to try them. However, some disquieting comments from dissatisfied cafepress customers made me want to try at least two vendors. After looking around, I settled on Ofoto as the second contender.

I downloaded the cafepress template for wall calendars (3,450 by 2,700 at 300dpi), built a set of high-quality JPEG's using Photoshop CS with embedded sRGB color profiles, and uploaded them to both the cafepress and Ofoto websites.

When I started to create the custom calendar at cafepress, I ran into my first problem. Since my first look at cafepress's "Create & Buy (tm)" section several days earlier, the Wall Calendar ($14.99) item had disappeared from the list of Products. Only by fiddling with the URL did I get to the page that allowed me to create the Wall Calendar. An email query to cafepress concerning this oversight produced no reply.

Eventually, I uploaded all the photos to both cafepress and Ofoto. I added captions for the Ofoto calendar; cafepress expects you to format your own captions as part of the image you upload, which is both more flexible and more work.

I ordered both calendars today at midday, November 22nd, to be delivered to my house via second day delivery. Within a few hours I received email acknowledgements from both companies.

No comments: