Friday, October 01, 2004

What's on the iPod: "COWBOYbebel"

The playlist-of-the-week on my iPod is the one I titled "COWBOYbebel". It's two parts "Cowboy Bebop" anime soundtrack per one part Bebel Gilberto's latest album.

Just in terms of story and visuals, Cowboy Bebop stands apart from every other piece of Anime I've watched. What really makes it special is its pairing of techno/film noir visuals with retro big band music. It's a combination that really seperates Cowboy Bebop from the rest of the pack, just as Vince Guaraldi's soundtrack lifted the Charlie Brown animated specials into the realm of classics.

Bebel Gilberto's latest (self-titled) album is more mainstream, less techno than her previous offering ("Tanto Tempo", also excellent). She mixes up singing in English and Portuguese this time, and the results are infectious, light, airy.

I couldn't say why these two seem to fit together; I guess it says something about my appetite for eclectic juxtaposition. Anyway, give 'em a listen and lemme know what you think.

No comments: