Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Report: Trip to Malheur NWR

Wow!

We're just back from an amazing weekend at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon with our favorite birding guide, Steve Shunk of Paradise Birding.

Despite unseasonably cold and snowy weather we really enjoyed ourselves and got to see almost all the birds we could reasonably expect at the Refuge. I really recommend a visit to the high desert of eastern Oregon. It has a kind of serenity you don't find anywhere else, due largely to the striking volcanic rock formations and fantastic cloud formations. The sunlight at dawn and dusk is warm and velvety, you could shoot landscape pictures all day and never get tired of it. (note: I'll post some of my landscapes soon, I promise).

For you birders out there, I've posted my trip lists for days one, two, three, and four, and you can also take a look at the weekend total species count.

I had a few good bird pictures over the weekend, especially this American Dipper.

No comments: